CMS-Japanese Motorcycle Supply Parts

Honda CX500, GL500 - Painting the final drive unit

Before using this site please read the site disclaimer. Also please note that any links provided may be part of an affiliate programme (viz. eBay, Amazon) which helps support the site as I will earn a commission when visitors make a qualifying purchase.

Here's how we painted our final drive unit.

We covered the splines (both ends) over with some plastic wrap:

Our first attempt at removing the paint was with a wire wheel:

...but some heavy-handed application of the wire wheel resulted in some scarring:

That idea was ditched and we turned back to the good old paint stripper.

Stripper hard at work:

A metal scourer was used to remove the old paint and excess stripper (that and some thick gloves...):

Part-way through the scrubbing:


The remaining areas were carefully cleaned up with sandpaper and any marks were sanded back within reason with 400+ grit sandpaper. Once that was done the surface to be painted was thoroughly cleaned with wax and grease remover, and left to dry. Test hang for spraying:

Thicker wire would have been a better idea, as it was challenging spraying between the wire and the final drive close to the axle hole.

The first layer of undercoat applied. We went with Duplicolor's high heat engine metal primer, and are going with the same brand/type of gloss black for the topcoat. Topcoat photos coming...

Search MotoFaction:

Follow us on Facebook!

Follow us on Instagram!

CMS-Japanese Motorcycle Supply Parts

Search MotoFaction:

In 2019 the server has had to double in capacity to support the growing site... please consider dropping the site a donation to help cover the costs! Check out our Patreon for support options, buy a shirt, buy our apps, use my NordVPN affiliate link to sign up to their service or donate via Paypal:

Paypal $5 link ->>
Paypal $10 link ->>